In ancient Greece, a pilgrimage to Delphi was a journey of self discovery. Upon arrival, travelers found the words “Know Thyself” inscribed at the entrance of the ancient Temple of Apollo. They are fitting words for any organization embarking on a strategic planning process.
Organizational discovery inspires the strategic planning process and the plan is ultimately only as useful as it is relevant. Relevance comes from knowing your organization’s distinct assets, thinking about the future, and crafting a plan that accurately reflects the unique qualities of your industry and organization. Usefulness results from having a plan that is clearly communicated and offers the tools to implement goals, objectives, and tactics.
Benefactor Group consultants guide your organizational leaders through the appreciative inquiry approach to planning, focusing on what your organization does well and building upon your success. During discovery and assessment we:
- listen to stakeholders, both inside and outside the organization;
- review programming, looking at both mission and financial impact; and
- examine sustainability factors including funding sources and investment strategies (human and financial).
During planning we:
- report findings in a way that emphasizes building on organizational strengths;
- facilitate meaningful discussions that develop consensus;
- moderate the creation, modification, or re-affirmation of organizational mission, vision, and values;
- help your organization craft goals, objectives, and tactics; and
- create an implementation timeline and a process to track progress.
While no planning process has the benefit of the Oracle of Delphi, a relevant and useful plan can be prophetic. At Benefactor Group, our goal is to support the development of a strategic plan that is a catalyst for meeting the challenges of mission and sustainability for your organization.